Blue Suitcase
Ready for anything.

So yesterday was…interesting.

I discovered that

1) the Ohio River had flooded Louisville and Cincinnati and all points in between this past week, which it so rarely does and

2) getting on the plane from Houston to DC for the Pony Club horse management judge training that I rearranged whole chunks of my life to get to was a really bad idea.

My first clue that All Was Not Well was when my flight out of Houston was delayed two hours by weather. The Delta app oh-so-helpfully had a pop-up button that allowed me to rebook myself on a connecting flight out of Atlanta with plenty of time to spare, and I settled in to get a huge amount of work done. (Pats self on back!)

Then they delayed my flight again. No pop up button appeared and there were no later flights available to DC from Atlanta. I crossed my fingers that the gates would be close together.

Then they made me check my carry-on bag. While I might could sprint from plane to plane, the baggage handlers have a ton of other bags to handle, so I quickly repacked my carry on, and wore or carried all the things I had to have for my seminar. So, instead of my nice walking shoes, I then had on paddock boots, a barn coat, and a shoulder bag with about 20 pounds of horse management junk in it. My carry-on/checked bag was almost empty. I took a photo of it, since it had been awhile since I had a record of what this bag looked like, and got on the plane to Atlanta. Texted my husband a funny update about it all. Congratulated myself on how well I’d thought all that through.

Smooth flight. We landed, taxied….and stopped about a hundred feet from the gate. And sat there for 30 minutes while I watched my Delta app for signs that the connecting flight (Only two gates down the terminal!!) was also delayed. Boarding, it kept saying, right up til after I got to the gate to see the jetway door still open — but they had “released” my seat because I wasn’t there, and they put standby folks on the plane instead of me. Texted my husband in frustration. Thank goodness someone listened to me!

Delta baggage handler are stellar because they managed to “expedite” my bag from the Houston plane to the DC-bound plane, so I got to wave goodbye to my almost empty bag and lug my horse stuff down to the long line of folks trying to find a seat out of Atlanta. Two hours later I had learned there were no flights to the northeast part of the country because of a storm but they could get me on an evening flight to Houston Hobby. (My car was parked at Intercontinental on the north side of Houston,but hey, NOT Atlanta.) Texted new flight info back to Houston to husband.

That thing I usually do before packing? Checking the regional weather before I go. Didn’t do. At least I had a way out of Atlanta. Fretted a bit about this expensive round trip ticket to mayhem, but decided to drown my sorrows in more work. (Aren’t I a good little writer!)

Before I got on the plane to Houston three hours later, I called and left a message on the husband’s cell because I hadn’t gotten any return texts. “See you at Hobby at 8?” and watched Justice League all the way back home. (So the day was not all bad. Haven’t sat still long enough to watch a movie in quite awhile.)

Turned my phone on to find a text from my husband in response to my phone call that he’d see me at Hobby on Sunday and thanks for the update!! He had not gotten any of my texts, but assumed the voice mail from me was about my original return date. He too was unaware of the storm on the east coast.

The hour it took for Paul to get to Hobby gave me enough time to discover that 1) Delta employees are really kind. They would bring my bag to my house when it got back 24 hours from when I got back so that I would not have to go to both Houston airports today to collect my car (Intercontinental) and my bag (Hobby). and 2) Check my e-mail to discover that Delta had credited me the entire price of the ticket.

And I now have two entire days I didn’t have before, so I’m headed out to do spring cleaning of the barn and mow the pastures, and brush the horses.

Weather here? Delightful.

Travelogue out.

Julie the traveling fool


2 comments / Add your comment below

    1. Exactly. It felt a little surreal to arrive back home the same day. But appropriate too that I arrived 50 miles away from where I left. That tesseract thing needs work.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.